Thursday, October 19, 2006
To Plot or Not to Plot...

So, I'm about to map out a new novel which I hope to be motivated into writing by joining the NaNo challenge next month. Hold a sec while I sign up... Ok, I did it!

Now, I'm thinking do I follow my normal mode of writing or do I really get serious and start plotting. Actually, most of the time I write out a two to three page general synoposis of what my book will be about, and then I start writing. I work out the details as I go along. That has worked great for me so far.

However, currently not only am I delving into a new area for me (magic and faeries), I also did not do my synopsis. Needless to say, I am behind my schedule and struggling along at a snail's pace trying to figure out what should happen next.

I wrote a summary of each chapter of my 65,000 word book, which was my first book. I wrote a summary for my 45,000 word book. And I've written summaries generally for all the others, so why haven't I gotten it into my head that I need a synopsis or some type of notes?

I blame Ms. Procrastination. If she were real, I'd give her a smack and lock her out of my house. But I suspect she's an amazon genie and she'd have me in a full nelson before I knew what hit me.

The weird thing is, one of my sons is a procrastinator like me and the other isn't. If he has a month to do a project, you can believe he can't wait until the weekend for me to get his poster board. He needs it tonight because time is running out.


So with all that said, my question to you my friends is: do you plot or do you fly by the seat of your pants? And if you do plot, is it a simple summary or do you map each chapter?




posted @ 6:40 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 7:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I never used to, but I never finished anything, either!

    I'm definitely plotting for NANO!

     
  • At 9:45 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    I'm a pantser but I also thrive on deadlines. Meaning, I like to wait until just before the deadline and the stress gets me through. It's rather scary really but it has worked for me. Doesn't really work in parenting though and I teach my kids to do their stuff right away rather than put it off but sadly I'm not a good example.

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm more of a pantzer :)

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger Lyric James said…

    I am such a panster...usually. But I'm definitely plotting for NaNo. Hey way..somebody already said that. But it's true. To write at the pace NaNo requires, I don't think I'd be even remotely successful if I didn't plot, if only just a little.

    This plotting thing has only happened in the last couple of months or so, but it helps to know what each chapter is going to be about...even if I don't necessarily write down all the details first.

     
  • At 12:05 AM, Blogger AJ Cove said…

    I completely agree and that's why I sat down tonight and typed out everything I wanted to have happen in my novella up unto the end. Finally, I feel ready to tackle the rest of the book.

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Hi,

    I never plot. Maybe if I did I would be more successful but I so fly by the seat of my pants. My characters guide me and we find the way together.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 





Name: A. J. Cove
Location: Maryland, United States

I'm older than I want to be. I've loved reading since I was four years old when...


View my complete profile


  • AJ Cove's Myspace
  • AJ Cove's Website
  • Amira Press
  • Cobblestone Press
  • Romance Divas






  • Cora Zane
  • Emma's Ramblings
  • The Gab Wagon
  • MG Braden
  • Midnight Moon Cafe
  • Shelli Stevens
  • Tara M. Leigh
  • Do you believe in magic?I did it! I just finished...
  • Now that it's getting colder in Baltimore, I miss ...
  • I'm so excited! Cobblestone Press accepted my new...
  • Good morning everyone,Today I'm a little down. I'...
  • Hello everyone,I took some time off work and did A...
  • I haven't learned where to add links to the side o...
  • Shift for Hire seems to be my most popular book. A...
  • Hello,Welcome to my blog. I am A. J. Cove, author ...


  • Jodici Designs
    Jodici Designs

     
     
    Hit Counter
    Get a Hit Counter