Monday, January 01, 2007
Timeline Confusion: Lost in Space

So have you ever been writing your story and you wanted to jump back in the past, before certain events you've already written about, then got tangled all up in the timeline? That's where I am right now. Ugh! Here's the deal.

In book one (Shift for Hire) Tara has indicated that she and her race came to Earth only five years previously. But then I had the nifty idea in book two (Shift Hunter) to change that accepted fact to a small evil group of Shifts having secretly come to earth roughly ten years previously.

As if that wasn't enough for my befuddled brain, I had the hero as a child of six and half (I think 20 years before Tara's story) and then almost seven years before Tony, his mother encountered the evil group of Shifts. Sheesh!

I opened up an Excel spreadsheet just to see a visual of what in blue blazes I was talking about. I know what I just typed wasn't clear, but it gives you an idea of how lost I am in this timeline deal. I hope I get it worked out soon.

So have you ever flitted back and forth across timelines and storylines and gotten lost somewhere in the worm holes? Haha.

If you see me on your journeys, please direct me home. Thanks.
posted @ 5:08 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 7:01 AM, Blogger Tara M. Leigh said…

    YES! Then I have to stop and go back and read and I'm like Ohhhhhh yeah...no, that hasn't happened yet! LOL

    With Love,
    Tara M.

     
  • At 3:56 PM, Blogger Cora Zane said…

    Oooh, yeah. I've fallen into the time warp trap before. Trying to keep past events that happened before the start of the story... arg.

    The best bet is to simplify. If you don't have to give concrete numbers - then don't. So the race has been there 5 years - say "less than a decade". Using generic terms for this can give you more writing leeway in the future.

    Hope this helps - or even makes sense. Just keep up the good work and keep on writing. *thumbs up*

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 





Name: A. J. Cove
Location: Maryland, United States

I'm older than I want to be. I've loved reading since I was four years old when...


View my complete profile


  • AJ Cove's Myspace
  • AJ Cove's Website
  • Amira Press
  • Cobblestone Press
  • Romance Divas






  • Cora Zane
  • Emma's Ramblings
  • The Gab Wagon
  • MG Braden
  • Midnight Moon Cafe
  • Shelli Stevens
  • Tara M. Leigh
  • Shift HunterOk, for lack of something else to chit...
  • Sick and ReadingI took off the entire week so I co...
  • Happy Wednesday, SomewhatOk, we're halfway through...
  • Pancakes and MenSo last night I went to my sister'...
  • SubplotsWhat do to, what to do? So I'm reading th...
  • Chess Club, My Space and Fellow DivasI have so muc...
  • Yummy!This is Liu Kang of Mortal Kombat. His real...
  • Stone Guardian Strikes Again!Wow, I'm on a roll! S...
  • CONGRATULATIONS!!!I want to say thank you and cong...
  • Back Pain and WritingI've been at home suffering f...


  • Jodici Designs
    Jodici Designs

     
     
    Hit Counter
    Get a Hit Counter